CIVITAS: An International Civic Education Exchange Program administered nationally by the Center for Civic Education and funded through a grant from the US Department of Education, with the cooperation of the US Department of State.
Expanding its impact on Florida students to engage in multicultural law and civic education programs, The Florida Law Related Education Association, Inc., participates in CIVITAS, a reciprocal international initiative which provides civic education leaders opportunities to learn from and assist each other in improving education for democracy in their respective nations.
The Florida-Hungary-Mississippi-Romania Partnership
The Florida Law Related Education Association, Inc. serves as the management site in the Civitas International Civic Education Exchange Program partnered in Europe with Civitas-Hungary, a Budapest-based non-governmental organization, since 1995, and the Intercultural Institute of Timisoara in Romania. Additional U.S. partner co-management sites include The State Bar of Texas - Law Focused Education, Inc., Mississippi State University.
The Florida-Panama-Peru Partnership
Since 2001, The Florida Law Related Education Association, Inc. served as the management site in Civitas Latin America partnered with Civitas-Panama of Panama City, Panama and the Instituto Peruano de Educación en Derechos Humanos y la Paz (IPEDEHP) of Lima, Peru. The Miami-Dade County Public Schools, Division of Social Sciences served as a co-management site in the Florida-Panama-Peru partnership.
Citizen in a European Democracy
Annual Gatekeeper Exchange Program
US and European Democracy Camps - For Students and Teachers
Project Citizen Showcases
Transatlantic Project Citizen E-learning Exchange Program
Government Officials in the Classroom
Curriculum Development and Training
Research and Evaluation
The goals of the Civitas Exchange Program are to
- Acquaint international educators with exemplary civic education programs;
- Share training and curricular resources and models;
- Facilitate the exchange of ideas and practices among policymakers and other gatekeepers;
- Create student based simulations of government in action;
- Involve government officials in civic education programs and classrooms; and
- Implement research and program evaluation.
- Civitas US-Hungary-Romania Powerpoint
- Hungarian American Lessons for Democracy
- Once in a Lifetime: Delegation visits during 2008 Presidential Election
- Press Release - Annette Pitts Speaks at World Congress on Civic Education
Civitas International Network - www.civnet.org
Civitas Association Hungary - www.civitas.hu
The Intercultural Institute of Timisoara - www.intercultural.ro/en/index.html
Instituto Peruano de Educación en Derechos Humanos y la Paz (IPEDEHP) - www.ipedehp.org.pe